You lead an incredibly busy life don’t you? Everything moves at warp speed with instant access to almost anything and anyone in your highly digital world. You naturally expect everything to happen quickly and others expect you to act quickly too. The hamster wheel keeps spinning and you run as fast as your energy levels will take you, often covering very little distance. Changes to your life, both chosen and imposed, call for you to adapt just as rapidly. Home schooling, self-disciplined exercise, developing new business strategies, creating innovative new ideas, endless hours staring at a screen, entertaining yourself and others, all whilst caring for your family and your home. So, when do you step off the wheel?
Your body cannot replenish your energy levels unless you create the space in your day for it to do just that, particularly if you are not getting sufficient, good quality sleep (please see our previous blog on enhancing your sleep experience). What’s the answer? Self-Hypnosis!
Before I share some of the secrets of self-hypnosis with you, let’s establish the definition of what hypnosis is. I’m going to be brief here as I have already written a blog about modern hypnosis, please take a look to get the specifics. Hypnosis is simply deep physical and mental relaxation. That’s it in a nutshell!
It’s a common misunderstanding that hypnosis is something un-natural, complex and new-age. Hypnosis is deep relaxation and hypnotherapy is words. That’s all! Hypnotherapists are skilled at using language in a way that positively effects thinking and behaviour. Self-Hypnosis is simply choosing the most beneficial words to use when you talk to yourself, your internal dialogue.
How much time in your day are you currently scheduling for deep physical and mental relaxation? I get it! None! Here’s a valuable change to your daily schedule that you can easily make and it need only be a matter of 15 – 20 minutes. Yes, that’s all! Your body and mind are very efficient and can top up the gas tank very quickly given the opportunity. With a full tank you can motor on through your busy day and feel great. This is a great way to deal with that afternoon slump. Instead of reaching for the coffee or a hit of sugar to artificially enhance your feeling of having energy, allow your body to recharge your batteries naturally, it’s so worth the investment of a little bit of time and it feels great!
Here’s what to do in 10 simple steps:
1. Schedule 15 minutes when you can be alone and undisturbed. You may have to make this happen.
2. Find a spot where you can be comfortable and alone. Leave ALL your technology outside the room. Let others know that you are having some ‘me time’.
3. Dim any bright lighting, make sure you are comfortably warm and get yourself into a wonderfully comfortable position.
4. Close your eyes and take 5 deep, cleansing breaths. In through your nose and out through your mouth. Feel the air as it fills your lungs and then as it exits, revitalising your body and mind.
5. Now, it’s time to relax physically. Starting at the top of your head, relax all the muscle groups as you move down your body. Make sure each muscle is completely relaxed. If you are unsure, then tense that muscle. Squeeze it as tightly as you can and then let it relax. You will soon get used to feeling the difference between relaxation and tension.
6. Continue to breath slowly and deeply.
7. Now relax mentally. Choose an autosuggestion that works for you. An autosuggestion is something you say to yourself in your mind, your self-talk. Choose the words that resonate with you. For example, ‘I am strong, confident and full of motivation to succeed.’
8. Repeat your autosuggestion over and over in your mind. Let pictures appear in your mind to support your suggestion, use a soothing and encouraging tone in your self-talk. Enjoy the experience.
9. Continue to breath slowly and deeply.
10. When you are ready, sit up slowly, have a good stretch and feel great!
Like anything, practice makes perfect! You will soon be great at your 15 minute ‘me time’ and your energy levels will surprise and delight you. When you take care of your body and mind, they will take care of you.