Imagine that you can change how you think about a problem in less than 5 minutes, just by using your language!
Neuro LINGUISTIC Programming is the study of how you say things. Even though language contributes only 7% of meaning to your communication, it’s the only way that you can effectively tell someone how to do something. Yes, only 7% of the meaning of any communication is conveyed within the words that you choose! 55% of meaning is completely non-linguistic, it is projected by your physiology and 38% in the pitch, tone, quality and tempo of your voice, how you speak to people.
As a human being, you favour the 7% of linguistic labelling at the expense of the remaining 93% of your capacity to communicate. The level of abstraction that you use within your language makes a big difference to the psychology of the response you get from other people.
When you have a problem, it sits within your nervous system (your mind and body) and you label the problem with your language. A problem is not a problem until you create the words to describe it. Once you have added language to describe your problem, it becomes part of your reality and you put a boundary of words around it to protect it. Language acts as a gauge or a measure of your experience (Lan-guage) and so when you language a problem you erect boundaries around it.
So, you sit within the boundaries of your problem. To move away from the problem, you must shift your thinking from inside to outside of box made up of words, allowing you to experience ‘not problem’ and view your problem from another perspective. We do this by using language in a particular way. When the language of the problem changes, the language box disappears and the problem no longer exists.
Here’s a simple language pattern to assist you to blow out the boundaries of your problem:
1. What is it?
2. What is it not?
3. How do you know what it is not?
4. What is it that you need to not know to know this?
Whilst this easy question set won’t remove the context, your environment, relationships or surroundings, it will change the way you think of them as a problem. Read through these questions again, apply them to self and recognise how they make you feel, what goes on inside when you consider the answers to these questions. Did the boundaries blow out? This is inductive language and effects incredible change in under 5 minutes. Give it a try and notice your results.